Monday, April 7, 2008

Lance Berkman's humor and a thought on the Astros



As a lifelong Houston Astros fan, I know exactly who Lance Berkman is. When the switch-hitting Astros infielder was once asked what he majored in at his alma mater Rice University (which is a tough school academically) in Houston, he replied: “Eligibility.”

Lance reminds me of my grandfather, the late, great George Goade (1907-1992). Mom says that “Daddy” loved to joke around.

As you see from the above photo about Berkman, there’s something unusual about him: although Berkman throws left-handed, he writes right-handed. Another southpaw traitor :D. I throw, bat, golf, kick, eat, shoot and write left-handed, so it’s hard for me to imagine Berkman’s ways.

I did see one video shot, though, of recently-retired Astros star Craig Biggio that showed something: although Biggio batted and threw right-handed, he writes left-handed.

***

As of this blog posting, the Astros are 2-5 on the season going into a home stand. Tonight, they open a three-game series against the St. Louis Cardinals. I was wondering if any other Astros fans out there can explain to me why it is that of the 12 pitchers on Houston’s active roster, only two are left-handers? Wandy Rodriguez is a starter while Wesley Wright’s in the bullpen. Seems dangerous to have only two, especially if you’ve already used the lefty in your pen and you’re in the late innings against a dangerous left-handed hitter.

No comments: