Tuesday, September 11, 2007

An e-mail conversation with former major leaguer Rick Bosetti



One of my favorite pasttimes is to send e-mails to famous people with public e-mails and see if they respond. Among the many I've had the privilege of chatting with over e-mail are actors Keith Carradine, Tom Wilson (best known for playing Biff Tannen in the Back to the Future trilogy), Harrison Page (best known for playing Captain Trunk in the cult comedy show Sledge Hammer!), David Hess (who starred in Wes Craven's film Last House on the Left), country singer Tanya Tucker and, one of my heroes in the writing business, syndicated columnist Cal Thomas.

A few months ago, I noticed that former major league outfielder Rick Bosetti (seen above in a baseball card when he played for the Toronto Blue Jays) now lives and works in Northern California.

There was a book I read once that talked about a crazy prank Mr. Bosetti pulled during his career on several occasions. I'd rather not get into detail here about the prank he pulled except to say that, in fairness, baseball players are notorious for practical jokes. Mr. Bosetti, was kind enough to respond. While he acknowledged the prank, he pointed out that it was done on a dare. He also had some very fascinating thoughts that he shared in an e-mail. Among them:
Taking into consideration the actions of some of the players of today I would think my actions were a bit mild. I have raised four articulate, highly intelligent and beautiful children. They know the story well as it gets dragged out every time I am in the public eye. Thank you for the interest, you are correct I do prefer to look ahead.
Mr. Bosetti, to me, is a reminder that while we all do crazy things when we were younger, what counts is who we are now. Looks to me like he and his family are all well-adjusted.

No comments: