Monday, October 22, 2007

Review of 'My Big Fat Greek Wedding'

This last weekend, my wife and I got around to watching 2002 independent comedy My Big Fat Greek Wedding. Wow. I don't think I've ever fallen in love so much with a movie on the first viewing. It was hilarious, heart-warming and beautifully done. It's about a 30-year-old Greek-American girl named Toula who is increasingly pressured by her parents to "get married and make babies." Well, she finally falls in love--with a man who's the man of her dreams. One small problem: He's not Greek. As the cultures clash, hilarity results.

It was also surprisingly clean. I don't remember any objectionable material, except for the part where Toula's fiance is told how to say things like "Thank you" in Greek--only to be given PG-13 phrases by Toula's impish brother and cousin.

One of these days, when I expand my DVD library, this movie will have to have its own space. Special Edition DVD, preferably. Four out of four stars for one of the best movies I've ever seen.

No comments: