Sunday, August 17, 2008

Writing contest thoughts

I was a little discouraged to lose out on a writing contest. When I saw the winner of one magazine's latest contest, it really made me think of something. Theme has to do with going into a bar. As I read the winner's story, I kept thinking, "What was the point of this story?" Read it over again and kept concluding the same thing.

From this, one can come to two conclusions: either I'm so far behind as a writer that I can't recognize good writing or that this winning entry really, really sucks and that I can have some success if I work hard and keep submitting.

There was a previous contest where I submitted what I thought was a good story, saw what won and wondered why such a mediocre piece of writing would win. Maybe I'm whining, or maybe the magazine's judges just have really bizarre standards.

No comments: