Saturday, August 9, 2008

Almost getting to interview Rip Torn


So, at the newspaper I was given this press release. Rip Torn took a tour of the U.S. Coast Guard Academy. Article mentions that he's from Lakeville, which is a community near Oxford, Michigan (where I work).

Wow! I thought. Rip Torn! I remember him very well. He played an evil high priest in the 1982 film The Beastmaster and was in a few other movies. What's interesting is that he and I have a few things in common: both of us grew up in Texas, both of us are left-handed and both of us share a birthday (February 6).

How to get in touch with him? Knowing it would probably be a dead end, I looked him up online to see if he had an address in Lakeville, using his real first name--Elmore.

Nope.

No listing in Michigan, either, for an Elmore Torn (his real first name).

Then I looked at the press release and noticed it was datelined New London, Connecticut, where the academy is at. Is it possible there's a Lakeville, Connecticut? I thought.

Sure enough, there was.

Bummer. I was looking forward to meeting him and talking with him. The only nearby celebrity we have is Kid Rock, who has a home in nearby-Ortonville.

No comments: