Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Whom to vote for in Election Year 2008



Right now, and this may change, I have come to a partial decision as to whom I’ll vote for in 2008.

If Mitt Romney gets the Republican nomination, I will most likely vote for him. However, if it becomes very clear that he will win the election easily over his opponent (whether Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama), then I will entertain voting third party. Never thought I’d do this, but this election particularly showcases no clear GOP conservatives. In the Michigan primary, I voted for Mike Huckabee, whose chances of getting the nomination are just about zero.

If John McCain gets the GOP nomination, I’ll have some serious pondering to do. I respect that Senator McCain is a former POW (one former POW I have interviewed knew of McCain in Vietnam and spoke very highly of him), but I’m not convinced that he’s really a conservative. I understand his opposition to Bush’s tax cuts (McCain felt that the tax cuts should be done alongside spending cuts), but there are so many areas of McCain’s platform that bother me: campaign finance, immigration, social issues. In short, I suspect that he’s more of a RINO (Republican In Name Only).

If I feel that Clinton or Obama could do grave damage as presidents, I will vote for McCain.

If I feel that McCain will win easily, I may go third party.

If I feel that McCain is no better than his Democratic opponent, then I would go third party.

Finally, if I find that I simply can’t stomach another Clinton presidency or a candidate backed by Oprah Winfrey, then I’ll vote for McCain.

No comments: