Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Michelle Obama is a tough person to please


The 44 year-old wife of Democratic presidential hopeful Barack Hussein Obama, she said recently that, for the first time in her adult lifetime, she is proud of her country.

Her comments came at a recent campaign rally for her husband in Madison, Wisc. Mrs. O told the crowd: “…But what we’ve learned over this year is that hope is making a comeback. It is making a comeback let me tell you something, for the first time in my adult lifetime, I’m really proud of my country. And not just because Barack has done well but because I think people are hungry for change, and I’ve been desperate to see our country moving in that direction. And just not feeling so alone in my frustration and disappointment. I’ve seen people hungry to be unified around some basic common issues and it’s made me proud…”

Mrs. O turned 18 on January 17, 1982, and just now she’s become proud of her country as an adult?

President Ronald Reagan admonishing former Soviet Union leader Mikhail Gorbachev to “tear down this wall” back in 1987 at West Berlin’s Brandenburg Gate didn’t make her proud?

The collapse of the Soviet Union in 1991 didn’t make her proud?

The U.S.’s dominance at the 1984 Summer Olympics didn’t make her proud?

The U.S. Women’s soccer team’s World Cup victory in 1999 didn’t make her proud?

The liberation of Grenada from communist forces in 1983 didn’t make her proud?

The election of the “First Black President” in 1992 didn’t make her proud? Well, maybe not. After all, it was Bill Clinton, the husband of Barack’s chief rival now.

Call me sensitive, but Mrs. O’s comment comes across as extremely selfish and self-serving. One caller on yesterday's Laura Ingraham show described himself as a Naval Academy graduate who hates Republican presidential nominee-to-be John McCain, but said that Mrs. O's comments have made him now want to vote for McCain.

No comments: