Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Will I watch baseball this season? Hard to say

Spring training is just around the corner, and soon my favorite team, the Houston Astros, will be getting ready for the season. Honestly, though, I could be far more enthusiastic. The steroids/human growth hormone scandal has really soured me on baseball, far more than the strike of 1994.

How many years did Bud Selig know that chemical enhancement was a problem in baseball? Too many, I suspect. I guess it was easier to watch Mark McGwire and Sammy Sosa hit Ruthian home runs and help baseball recover from its strike.

I find myself longing for the days of the eighties, when Jesse Barfield hit 40 homers in 1986, a number that seemed remarkable at the time.

When I look at my Barry Bonds rookie 1987 Topps baseball card and see how slender he was, his home run records* of 73 in a season and 762 career homers are both pathetic jokes.

No comments: