Sunday, November 11, 2007

When you don't feel like going to church...

I had one of those days today where I didn’t feel like going to church. My wife wasn’t feeling the greatest, and our two youngest were in the same boat. Our oldest son is really getting involved in his youth group, and I really hate to miss church especially for that reason. So we went, and I saw at my favorite spot—up in the balcony at the front of the back row so that I could put my Bible and Day Planner atop the ledge.

Wow, am I glad I went.

The service, preached by Pastor Peter DeKlerk of Lapeer, Mich.’s Calvary Bible Church, talked further in the Book of Acts about the Apostle Paul’s mission work. Talked about how when people got saved they started clearing things out of their lives that would hinder their walk with God. It really challenged me to be alert about what my eyes see on television and what my ears hear on the radio. And then in Sunday School, we continued our exposition into the Book of Daniel. We learned more about King Nebuchadnezzar’s dream that Daniel revealed and interpreted for him. Great stuff, with lots of platinum nuggets of wisdom to ponder. (A lady named Nancy Green especially had some insightful observations to offer on King Nebby).

Moral to the story: if you don’t “feel” like going to church and aren’t sick, get your lazy self to church. Chances are, the “don’t feel like it” attitude is Satan trying desperately to prevent you from getting royal blessings from God. All the times in the past several years that I’ve forced myself to go to church I came away exceedingly glad that I went.

No comments: