Friday, March 21, 2008

Chatting with the famous


One of my favorite pastimes is to send e-mails to actors and musicians and see if they respond. Over the years, I’ve had the privilege of chatting over e-mail with a few notables: Tom Wilson from Back to the Future, country singer Tanya Tucker, Harrison Page from the cult classic TV show Sledge Hammer!, columnist Cal Thomas and author Judy Blume.

Add to that list actor Gary Kent.

Kent has worked as an actor, production manager, writer, director and producer and has worked with Jack Nicholson, Penny Marshall, James Caan and Peter Bogdanovich. Kent starred in a seventies horror flick called Let’s Play Dead, which I saw when I was about 15. Not the scariest movie I’ve ever seen, but it had some creepy moments. As far as horror films go, it was also a dark comedy in some way. I e-mailed Mr. Kent, who was gracious enough to reply and couldn’t have been nicer. One thing he said in his reply that I really liked was that despite the nature of the film, he, his male co-star and female co-stars got along fine off the set. It really shows that in the acting world, there is a world of difference between what happens on and off camera.

No comments: